Most images do not load on latest iOS app

Most images across dozens of websites are not loading. I thought I’d see someone else post this issue but I’m the first. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It’s not one feed. It’s nearly all of them.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m seeing this on the iOS app since it was updated a week or so ago. The same feeds have no issues in the web app in Safari on Mac.

I find that the hero image is displayed in the feed view, but clicking to the article in Story view just shows a broken image placeholder. An example feed is Brickset

I’m seeing images loading fine, but can you post a screenshot of how this looks? And this is exclusively on iOS, right? @Dejal

Sam, I’ve intermittently been having this problem too - I submitted a description and screenshot to the testflight. Sounds like maybe it’s an issue outside of the beta too.

Here is a screenshot from Ars Technica (a large website).

I’ve experimented, but I can’t reproduce this issue either. If anyone has any clues on how to reproduce it, please let me know.

You can reproduce it by turning on Private Relay. I’ve had it on for years so something changed recently.

Thanks. I’ve had Private Relay on with my iPhone for some time, without noticing any missed images. I just turned it on for my iPad, but images stubbornly continue to load correctly. Including with the Ars site.

Well, when I turn private relay off the images load and when I turn it on the images do not load. Importantly, this is for most but not all feeds. I encourage you to try Ars Technica, which is a major site. The workaround is to use RSS.app to create a custom feed.

I’m having same issue. Turning off private relay fixed it

I’ve noticed this too. Private Relay is off. I’ve tried also disabling Safari content blockers, and still see some images fail to load, while others are fine. Generally the “hero” thumbnail on the feed view is visible, while tapping into the story in text or story mode has the broken image.

Here’s a story where some images load, and others do not:

Here’s xkcd feed with comic previews on feed, then tapping into comic with broken image:

I’ve found that opening in-app settings and deleting offline stories will make more images load for a short time, but then later the same images will show up as the “missing” question mark on blue square.

I’ve tried turning off completely offline stories, and that seems to help. So I think it’s a problem with the image caching on iOS specifically?

I don’t have Private Relay (think it’s an iCloud paid feature?) so that’s not a variable for me.

@William_Morrell’s description sounds the same as for me. I’ve just checked an article that wasn’t loading its image, then cleared offline stories and returned to the same article where images are now displayed correctly.

@Dejal There’s something up with offline images because when I was on an airplane last week I noticed that none of the images loaded even though I made sure to queue them all up. It’s likely this is causing the issue, since it’s a bad local cache.

Thanks all. Sounds like Private Relay was a red herring, but offline image caching seems more likely. I’ll take another look.

In the meantime, if anyone experiences this, try turning off the “download images” setting, and see if that makes a difference. Please let me know of any observations.