Mark newer/older as read extremely likely to destroy everything with now way to rescue in NewsBlur Android App v4 beta

I suggest posting screenshots. That way we can see if the buttons look smaller than we realize, thereby making it easier to tap the wrong one.

There is nothing wrong with the buttons except being there both of them.

Have you ever used your smartphone in a tram, train, wherever, simply while travelling? I am doing so every day and I touch the wrong part of the GUI from time to time due to inequalities on the road/rails. Regularly. I simply cannot imagine you never clicked / touched the wrong button by accident especially if they are next to each other.

Not having any confirm dialogue (that would be annoying while using the extremely useful function of marking all the older [simply seen, it depends on the sorting of the list] stories as read) there is simply too high possibility of ruining all my unread posts I haven not seen so far. Thatā€™s all. So I am strongly against this ā€“ for me and couple of others (see previous posts and the previously linked posts) ā€“ completely absurd button destroying newer post I didnā€™t have seen. If it is really so useful and appreciate by most of the users that never ever push any wrong button by accident as they are perfect beings simply keep both buttons and I will continue to use the alternative client.

1 Like

@Mark Anderson

To be honest I canā€™t comprehend how people can press the wrong menu item.

To be honest I cannot comprehend how anyone cannot comprehend peoples are doing mistakes from time to time. Do you really believe all the confirmation dialogues in all the desktop, mobile and web apps are one big nonsense and all of them should be removed as all the programmers are completely wrong: the users never ever push any button accidentally?

I respect your use case of both the mark as read buttons (even though I believe the keep as read function is far better solution) but your perfect users assumption is simply completely wrong. Sorry.

Where did I assume perfect users?

Sorry but there are 20k+ active installs and you can count on one hand the number of users contributing on this thread. Yet the buttons should be removed just for you?

A few comments above you mentioned commenting them out in the code and how trivial that would be. Have you considered making a custom build of the Android app just for yourself?

Where did I assume perfect users?

Sorry but there are 20k+ active installs and you can count on one hand the number of users contributing on this thread. Yet the buttons should be removed just for you?

A few comments above you mentioned commenting them out in the code and how trivial that would be. Have you considered making a custom build of the Android app just for yourself?

I use this feature frequently and have neverrun into this issue, but then again I donā€™t experience your scenario of use on public transportation.

Adding a confirmation button is not a good solution. It adds an extra click for all users for a very specific scenario. Removing the feature is not a good solution either (obviously)

If it really is a big issue, I think an unobtrusive Undo button seems like a doable solution.

Example: a Toast that pops up after tapping the button and says ā€œMarking X stories Read, Tap to Undoā€Ā 

1 Like

Very nice idea. The toast undo button seems to me as a very good solution.
BTW, moving the mark older/newer as read buttons each at one end of the menu not to be next to each other would also significantly reduce the probability of hitting the wrong button.

1 Like

There are also links to threads of other people having similar difficulties:
https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/topics/disable-mark-newer-as-read
https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/topics/changed-behavior-when-marking-articles-as-read-in-the-anā€¦

Have you considered making a custom build of the Android app just for yourself?

Yes, I did. But not ever build any Android app so far (and having News+ app as an alternative) I still did not find enough motivation to do so. But it still is at my TODO list.

FYI Iā€™ve raised Toast/Undo before (see https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur/issues/584) but it is pretty complex to implement.

It the order of buttons was :-

Mark older as read
Mark as Read
Mark newer as read

That would in my view be significantly less likely to cause a problem. I cannot recall a situation where I wanted to mark a story as read on its own.Ā  Either Iā€™d read it, or scroll on and mark a group of stories.

What I would also find useful, though it might be far too complex, was to have the pop up appear where I have pressed. On my 8 inch tablet, it always appears in the middle of the screen, even when I have touched and held the story right at the bottom, so I have to move my whole hand up to press.Ā Ā  In addition to the two handed use, this causes problems when using one handed as I often do.