"Mark everything as read" does not work.

“Mark everything as read” does not work.

To reproduce:
* Click on the gear / “MANAGE NEWSBLUR” icon in the bottom left
* Click on “MARK EVERYTHING AS READ”
* Move the slider to the left, to “Mark every story as read.”
* Click “DO IT”

Lots of stories are still left in my sidebar. Refreshing the page doesn’t fix.

If I choose to delete everything older than 1/2 days, this does appear to (mostly) work. Although it gets stuck on a complete “Counting is difficult” bar - after a minute or so I gave up and refreshed the page and a lot of stuff was gone.

Marking all entries as read for any particular feed seems to work ok.

1 Like

Things I forgot to mention: username “ANDREWFTOOLS”, premium account for about a year now.

Just noticed: the stats area underneath my username on the dashboard doesn’t load either, the bouncy progress-y thing to the right of the username just keeps going and going…

My main browser is Chrome 21.0.1180.89 (Mac). Firefox 15.0.1 experiences the same issue.

There is error-y stuff in Chrome’s dev tools console. Screenshot:

So you have uncovered one of the most difficult bugs I’ve had. It has nothing to do with your feeds, but one of your feeds has a story that has incorrectly set its id to its guid instead of its database id. How it happened, I don’t know, and I can’t systematically fix it. I’m working hard to figure it out, but let me know if the error goes away or you find a particular feed that doesn’t work. I can fix it manually, but it’s not a great solution in the long run.

Hey,

So this is still a thing. It’s pretty disruptive because “read what I want, then mark all as read. Repeat tomorrow” is my usual workflow.

Is there a particular feed I can just unsubscribe from to fix it?

(After a while I’d just blame this on a random bit flip and a schemaless database :slight_smile:

[Oct 19 21:23:08] —> [andrewftools] Computing scores: bitsquid: development blog (370679) (0/1/0)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 2, in
File “/home/sclay/newsblur/apps/reader/models.py”, line 448, in calculate_feed_scores
self.mark_feed_read()
File “/home/sclay/newsblur/apps/reader/models.py”, line 296, in mark_feed_read
latest_story_date = latest_story[0][‘story_date’]\
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mongoengine/queryset.py”, line 1185, in __getitem__
return self._document._from_son(self._cursor[key])
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mongoengine/base.py”, line 1080, in _from_son
else field.to_python(value))
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mongoengine/base.py”, line 474, in to_python
value = ObjectId(value)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/bson/objectid.py”, line 83, in __init__
self.__validate(oid)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/bson/objectid.py”, line 172, in __validate
raise InvalidId("%s is not a valid ObjectId" % oid)
InvalidId: tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-9250821.post-5730216282390833949 is not a valid ObjectId

If you unsubscribe from bitsquid, it should work.

Yep, works fine with that unsubscribed. Thanks.

If it helps at all, I recall subscribing to that blog relatively recently, maybe just before this started. So it’s possible that this particular feed was broken from the moment I added it (as opposed to ticking along fine for a while, then spontaneously developing a problem).

Good news, this prompted me to fix the issue as best I could. I went ahead and discovered about a hundred different blogs that had this issue and I fixed the offending stories. Why it happened I’m not sure. But it should no longer be an issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like