Make "story content preview" configurable on a per-site basis

The new feature of showing a preview of the content is helpful, but only works for low volume feeds.

One feed that I follow gets hundreds of posts a day and I just skim them - for those the preview makes the skimming a lot harder. In addition, that particular feed always has the same content, so the title is the only useful info.

As a consequence, I have to turn the feature off globally just to compensate for this one feed.

Thanks!

–Matthew

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d be OK with this. I’ll add it as an option to the top filter menu, where other feed specific options go. I might not get to it immediately, since I’m working on a new font/style popover which may just get this instead. It’ll launch sometime soon.

2 Likes

Sorry, I changed my mind on this. I just shipped an update that removes descriptions when they are the same as the title. That should take care of the broader use case for not wanting descriptions. But I don’t think it should be individual to feeds.

what are the criteria for per-feed enablement?

This isn’t a big enough issue for me to be upset if it remains as is, but the fix you’re going with doesn’t help in my case:

I’ll just leave the feature disabled if it remains as is currently. After looking around at a few other feeds I think it might clutter the display more than it helps for me.

Yeah, I have that as well on the Hacker News feed. I just don’t think it warrants a preference. You haven’t shown the Feed view, which looks nearly identical.