Issue adding sites

I’m having trouble adding sites; when I click “Add” for a recommended site on the welcome page, the progress icon just keeps spinning. If I hit “Try” then try to add the site after that point, the same thing happens (says “Adding”, but nothing :frowning: ).

Another problem that may or may not be related: when I try to use the add site bookmarklet outside NewsBlur, I get “(Adding…)” in my title bar but nothing actually happens. I’m using Safari 6.0, if that matters…

1 Like

Hmm… something similar happens in other places too:

• When I hit “Post” trying to comment in a Blurblog, it says “Posting…” but nothing seems to happen.
  • In my preferences, when I go to save, says “Saving…” but nothing.

Any ideas?

I use Safari 6.0 as well, so it’s not that. Since these all look like different issues, I’m wondering if something is happening between you and the server. Are you able to look at the error console in Safari?

This is actually a head scratcher. Something is definitely going on with your browser. I take it you’ve tried to refresh the site and it still doesn’t work? The fact that the bookmarklet, which hasn’t been touched in a year and has worked successfully since then, is also crapping out, I’m thinking you might have an extension or something going on.

Are you on https, by any chance? Are you able to try in Firefox or Chrome? I’m at a loss.

It looks as if you can POST to NewsBlur, which might be a proxy or firewall issue on your side. Looking at the error console in Safari would be a definite answer, if you can get to that level of debugging.

I did try refreshing a couple times without any effect.

I just turned off all my extensions, although I had already disabled one or two that I thought might be interfering (AdBlocker, Do Not Track Plus–though that one was already turned off for NewsBlur).

Still nothing :frowning:

After hitting “Add” for a recommended site, this is what my error console says:
common.js:378[“Setting refresh interval to every 1200 seconds.”]
common.js:1013TypeError: ‘undefined’ is not an object (evaluating ‘this.feeds.get(c.id).set’)
common.js:378[“iframe_prevented_from_loading”, false]

The bookmarklet still doesn’t work after disabling extensions, although interestingly my Instapaper bookmarklet does work…

Ok, here’s what my error console shows if I have it open then click “Add”:

If I step through the execution, an issue pops up with this line (1013): feed_address:a.feed_address||this.active_feed.get(“feed_address”)},{silent:!0}),this.active_feed.hasChanged()&&this.active_feed.change();this.feed_id=b;this.starred_stories=a.starred_stories;this.stories.reset(a.stories,{added:a.stories.length})}else a.stories&&(this.stories.add(a.stories,{silent:!0}),this.stories.trigger(“add”,{added:a.stories.length}));$.isFunction©&&c(a,d)}},load_canonical_feed:function(a,b){var c=_.bind(function©{this.feeds.get(c.id).set©;this.feed_tags=c.feed_tags||{};

The issue is:
(Type Issue) ‘undefined’ is not an object (evaluating ‘this.feeds.get(c.id).set’)

Does that provide any info?

Alright. I have the same problem in Chrome. This is weird.

If I refresh the page after hitting “Try” (e.g. http://www.newsblur.com/site/1272480/…), then hit “Add”, it works with no problem, in both Chrome and Safari.

Immediately hitting “Add” still doesn’t work, though.

Hah, Kyle, I love that you’re providing me with all this debug information. I spotted it above and am just now getting to it. Have you seen this support queue I got going on today? I’ll have it fixed in a jiffy. :slight_smile:

Good news! This has been fixed, and not just for you, but for others who may have suffered with this bug (seems to be about 2 days old, since an older version of the code didn’t have it) and didn’t take the time to say anything. Let me know how that works for you.

1 Like

Whatever you fixed, it worked! The problems with adding sites or hitting other buttons are gone! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it does look like the bookmarklet is still not working for me…

When I have the error console turned on and try to use the bookmarklet, this is what I get:

ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: NEWSBLUR ead20b0e436b:21

Ack, you beat me to it. I’m working on this right now and am about to push out a fix.

And it works! Thanks for calling it out. I spent a long time to write the bookmarklet and am particularly proud of how well it works. I’m going to use it as the basis for a much more involved sharing bookmarklet I’ll be attacking next week.

Just wanted to add that you don’t need to do anything. It should just work on your end. (That’s one of the features I’m particularly proud of.)

1 Like

Awesome! It does work!

Also, thanks for getting to issues so quickly… I know I’ve been posting a bunch.

Keep it up. I need users like you who post every single issue they find, because you have to think about the dozens (if not hundreds) of users who don’t even bother.