iOS: Selection menu in stories acts unexpectedly

NewsBlur for iOS, 7.0.1
Running on iOS 9.3.5 (13G36)
Third generation iPad, circa 2012

Reproduction and observed behavior:

1. Launch NewsBlur
  2. Open a story which has text.
  3. Press an hold on a word to select it. Observe that pops up a menu with the options “Speak | Speak… | Pause”
  4. Click “Speak” (the first one).  Observe that nothing happens.
  5. Click “Pause”. Observe that nothing happens.
  6. Click “Speak…” (the second one). Observe that the menu disappears, but the text is not spoken aloud.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 on a different word. Observe identical behavior.
  8. Extend the selection a few words in in both directions by dragging the blue handles.
  9. Click outside of the selection to clear it and dismiss the menu.
  10. Click and hold on a word to select it. Observe that the menu is different, and now reads “Copy | Select All | Define | Speak | Speak… | Pause | Share…”.
  11. Click “Speak…” (the second one). Observe that the menu disappears, but the text is not spoken aloud.

I can usually reset the behavior back to the start by opening a different story.

Expected behavior:

• Always be presented with the longer menu seen in step 10.
  • Not see the “Speak…” button, as it appears non-functional and redundant.
  • Not see the “Pause” button unless actively speaking. iOS Safari replaces the “Speak” button with the “Pause” button while actively speaking.
1 Like

It’s an iOS 9 bug. It should be fixed in iOS 10. And the upcoming NewsBlur app is iOS 11+.

Bother. The iPad in question is too old to upgrade to iOS 10. And I can’t run iOS 11 on a newer iPad as I have a bunch of apps I still want to use that haven’t been (and probably will never be) updated. Such is life. :-/