Firefox: Can't open links inside a story in the background

I am using Firefox on OS X 10.8 with NewsBlur, and I read stories in Feed mode.

On most websites, I can Command-Click a link to send open it in a new *background* tab (which leaves the page containing the link as the active tab). However, when I do this with any links inside a story in NewsBlur, a new tab is opened and switched to (so a new *foreground* tab instead of background).

Is any way that this can be changed to allow this browser functionality to work as expected? Perhaps you have click event handlers bound to links in the story that are confusing this behavior?

1 Like

Middle mouse button should open the link in a new tab. Does it work?

I am not aware of a way to perform a middle click, at least with the default hardware on a Mac laptop.

Some searching shows there may be ways to generate a middle click by installing third-party software, but that seems beside the point, since Command-Click works correctly with most links I can find, just not links in stories on NewsBlur (ironically the place where I am most likely to use it).

Newsblur seems to use some kind of onclick handler to open links in a new window. They get diverted into a new tab instead but still get focus.

The only workaround I’ve found is to go to about:config and set the option browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground to true. With this option set, all new tabs are opened in the background – even those from other apps. This didn’t work for me but it might for you.

It would be great if something could be done about it on Newsblur’s side though…