Feeds showing up unread despite being read seconds ago.

Oh, that’s a pity. I am not going to use a different browser for this application, unfortunately. I am following this thread. When you have it fixed, let me know and I will come back :frowning:

It’s a pity because I really like Newsblur. But I sort of understand. Sort of, because most people are ok going to a different browser because of IE “incompatabilities”. I am not, since IE9 is a first-class browser and website devs should recognize that.

Agreed, it is a first-class browser and I intend to support it. My priorities over the next two weeks are to fix premium signups (PayPal broke them somehow, ugh), get the iPhone app shipped (again), and to fix this IE bug. It might be a week before I get to it, but it’s a high priority.

Oh, that’s awesome to know (that it is a matter of “weeks”). When you said it is less than 4% of your visitors, I thought it may be relegated to the bottom of the pile and be picked up after months. Good to know that is not the case.

Let me know when you are ready for me to test it again. Happy to help out in any way I can.

Weeks = this weekend. I’ll try to get this fixed, but I can’t guarantee anything because it’s so intractable.

Bumping this, my favorite (and only) topic, per your tweet :slight_smile:

Bumping this, my favorite (and only) topic, per your tweet :slight_smile:

Ahh, the old IE9 compatibility issue. I’ll be honest, I looked into it briefly and couldn’t reproduce it immediately, so I gave up. It may be an issue that only presents itself after reading a few feeds, but I only tested it. I need to get deep into the bowels of IE testing to get this one working. :frowning:

I am willing to give you all the time you need in getting this troubleshot. Lemme know how I can help.

Bumping again since the frequency of this happening has gone up (again). :frowning:

Willing to help out in (mostly) any way :slight_smile:

Bug is very, very annoying.

I’ve identified the problem, but the solution isn’t so easy. IE just stops sending those queued up read-story requests. I’m not sure why it stops sending, although it may have something to do with the fact that only a single mark_story_as_read call is allowed to go at any given time, and if other stories are read before the call comes back, then the story is queued to be sent in a batch. I can change that to just send every single read story as a single call, and I may do that for IE users.

Before I do that, are there any other IE users who have this issue? I just want to see if they are reading from feeds or from folders.

I’m having this problem right now, Samuel, with a feed of newly-tagged stories from Pinboard.in.

As soon as I read them, they come back in the sidebar as new stories. I can get around it by marking the folder as read, but it starts back up again as soon as the next legitimately new story comes in.

Not entirely sure if this is the same bug, but I thought I would chime in to say that the issue isn’t strictly limited to IE.

I very regularly click on a feed, quickly shift-A to mark the whole thing as read, click to a different feed, and then moments later notice the unread count of the first feed pop back up from zero. I then go back to the original feed, shift-A it a second time, and it seems to stay dead. Happens reliably in FF ESR10.0.5

If you see this happening, let me know immediately and I’ll take a look. Alternatively, see if Insta-fetching the feed works. But regardless, let me know.

I’m viewing “All Site Stories” and selecting Unread Only. It thinks for a minute, and then still displays all, and the indicator never switches to Unread.

This is on the website.

I found that this happens for me on the android app, but not in the iPad app or when using a browser.

Using the “Mark folder as read” doesn’t seem to work consistently. I’ve seen similar things for the single feed “Mark as read,” the unread number jumps back up, but not every time. Going into the feed and mashing the “next unread” button does seem to mark the stories as read properly.