Feed Setting: Select Oldest First

I know there is an option to select the oldest unread item first when reading, but I’d really like to see this as a per-feed setting. Most of my feeds are fine reading top to bottom, but a handful (Forums, sequential literature) are best suited for forward chronological reading.

1 Like

How would you set it? The same preference from Manage > Preferences in the Site Settings option? I think that may be over-doing it. The reason it’s a global preference is that the ideal setting, show stories sorted by date, will be a global as well. If enough people want me to allow you to split it per-feed, I’d consider it, but it’s not quite like the Feed/Story view to warrant every feed being overridable.

Yes, I envisioned it as another option in the manage > preferences > Site Settings.

If enough people want me to allow you to split it per-feed, I’d consider it, but it’s not quite like the Feed/Story view to warrant every feed being overridable.

On the contrary! I’ve used that override… maybe on one site? Maybe none at all. Meanwhile, I’d override sort order on at least a dozen (roughly 10%) of my feeds. At the end of the day, I don’t read every feed in the same order. Some should (or should I say must) be read sequentially. To me, it just seems obvious that this (and the sort option you mentioned) should be manageable on a per site level. The idea that hundreds of feeds should all be read and sorted in the same order seems really preposterous to me.

This is by no means a deal breaker for me, but sits very [very very] high on my “nice to have” list.

That’s pretty convincing. OK, when I finally build the actual read oldest-to-newest feature, this will be part of it. Unfortunately, got to launch social and the backbone-rewrite first. 2 months? Oldest-to-newest is high on my list.

By the way, this also means I’m going to be adding a button somewhere in the story titles pane so you can switch between the two (oldest/newest first).

Awesome Samuel! Gives me something to look forward to after the newness of the social features wears off :slight_smile: