Feed items containing an embedded "Microsoft Excel Web App" cause the view to jump down past unread articles

When a feed item contains an embedded “Microsoft Excel Web App” (yes, this is as hideous as you might think), the current view in the river jumps down to that embed once — I assume — the item is loaded.

I’ve noticed this problem in this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/RotoGraphs (see the most recent item from 2013/07/15 16:11 EDT for example).

It’s confusing when I’m j-ing my way through new articles and suddenly I see a whole bunch of things scroll by and I’m stopped at an article a ways down the list. Let me know if there’s any other info you need to try to reproduce.

1 Like

Woah, that’s wild. So I’m sorry but there is nothing I can do. It’s because I allow iframes in RSS feeds, and those iframes can really do whatever they want, including steal focus. Only way around that is to disable plugins and iframes, and I don’t think anybody wants that.

My suggestion is that if you can detect a pattern in posts that have this embed, train the story to be hidden (thumbs down the portion of the title that is the pattern). That way you won’t see the story, which I realize may not be ideal.

Yeah, that’s understandable. I suppose the next step would be a browser extension that snipped those embeds out of the DOM.

I’ll train those posts down. How can you view items that you’ve trained down?

There’s a Show Hidden Stories button at the top of the story/feed list.