Favicons Rendered Wrong

About 5% (rough estimate) of my feeds have favicons that aren’t rendered properly. This causes the accent color to be off, and the article is hard to identify in the list view. Is there a way to manually refresh the favicon or specify the url manually?

Some popular, notable sites:

• Polygon
  • Techcrunch
  • A List Apart
3 Likes

I’m also seeing the same problem. Have a look at the screen shot and note the Lifehacker and the Developer Tools Blogs (MSDN). Both have vertical stripes where there shouldn’t be. If there is a way to manually refresh the favicon, I haven’t found it.

So the favicon actually gets refreshed from the site very, very often. You’ll notice that when a site redesigns and changes its favicon, NewsBlur knows within a few hours.

This is a long-standing bug and for the life of me I couldn’t figure it out when I tried a year ago to fix it. I’ll look into it again.

I have some terrific news. The library I use for this work has been upgraded and has fixed many of the bugs. I checked the 200 sites I subscribe to and about 20 of them had greatly improved icons. Sharper, fixed transparencies, no more of that weird corruption, and a few other niceties.

This should hit all feeds within a couple days, but if you want to fix a bad icon just right-click the feed and insta-fetch it. That should immediately fix the icon. Enjoy!

1 Like

Great! I was able to insta-fetch my two feeds and display the icons properly.