Android:

Going through 3000 items, every single one creates toast notification which messes up my focus.

app version: 4.9.0b1
android version: 6.0.1 (MOB30H)
device: LGE Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
sqlite version: 3.8.10.2
username: alephh
memory: normal
speed: 418 feeds in conn:1673 read:199 parse:252 store:191
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: yes
keepread: no

1 Like

What do the toasts say?  The app no longer has any error messages of it’s own, once you are logged in (it just forwards along and displays whatever the newsblur.com servers are saying in response to your activity)

Exactly. Every time I want to focus on the news, there are fireworks at the bottom of the page where all the buttons and notifications and shades overlap creating amazing display of blinking stuff making it impossible to read anything at the upper part of the screen. Plus often pre-fetching images process gets stuck and if you happen to be on a device with smaller screen that server information overlays over the text (I have seen “storing 13 images” for 10 minutes now). Reminds of those very first webpages with at least 100 animated gifs on each one fighting for your focus. As a power user I just want to quickly go through huge number of rss-entries, but that’s pretty hard to do if there is an asyncronous almost random flashing somewhere in the UI.

Another issue I have been complaining about couple of years: If headline and compulsary image take up most of the screen estate, why the few lines of text which still fit into the display has to be coevered with “text/next” buttons? If you’re using volume buttons to move to the next rss-entry, then all these buttons do is block text. At least give us a setting to hide them.

Those story traversal buttons hide when you scroll. This is the same issue on iOS. Consider that this is where a toolbar would go. Instead we give you a toolbar that shows the content below it and fades away gracefully.

Oh!  Those ‘toasts’ are an artifact we turn on for some Beta releases.  They don’t show up in non-beta builds.  If they bother you, definitely feel free to switch back to the main releases.