Android: "mark all as read" doesn't function as expected in search results

If I search all articles and then hit “mark all as read” in the list of results my expectation is that the search results will all be marked as read.

Instead every article in my account is marked read.

This is less useful than my expected result which would let me search for keywords and then mark relevant articles as read.

For example today, now that I am up to speed on the events surrounding the London bombing, I could search for London and mark all those articles read instead of having to slog through hundreds of stories on a topic I’ve already read about.

app version: 5.2.0b3
android version: 7.1.2 (N2G47O)
device: Google Pixel (sailfish)
sqlite version: 3.9.2
username: majikbear
server: default
memory: normal
speed: 41 feeds in conn:1278 read:3 parse:31 store:36
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: no
notifications: no
keepread: no
thumbs: yes

1 Like

Definitely agree this is a surprising behaviour, and not in a good way.  Unfortunately, I believe the web site works just the same way because the API doesn’t support mark-read filtering by search term.  I can think of a few ways to hack this into the expected behaviour, but they might be a touch costly.  In the meantime, we can at least add a warning message about the behaviour.

1 Like

That sounds like a reasonable compromise for now. Thanks for being so responsive and understanding.

Added a “this probably isn’t what you meant to do” type of warning to the app, since I, for one, can’t think of a situation where I would actually want to mark the not-displayed stories when viewing search results.  Thanks for the catch!