Android: download/save option for podcast feeds

I use RSS to manage my podcast feeds. The one feature I need on android the the ability to download the mp3 s from the feed onto the android filesystem.
I use synched folders to keep my podcasts synched on my computers and phone, and play the files through regular android music player apps.

News+ offers the ability to download from the podcast rss feeds, and it’s a feature I need before I can fully embrace newsblur on android.

app version: 4.8.0
android version: 5.0.2 (LRX22G release-keys)
device: HTC HTC One_M8 (MSM8974)
sqlite version: 3.8.6
username: kamida
memory: normal
speed: 85 feeds in conn:912 read:8 parse:107 store:337
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: yes
keepread: no

1 Like

Can you shed any light on exactly how these work? Do the RSS feeds just directly point to an MP3 that is easy engough to download and save, or do the stories have to be sniffed to look for some form of audio?

At first glance, this sounds a little bit niche for a generic RSS reader, but it is entirely possible that we could try to integrate with one of the many podcast downloaders already out there (antennapod, podax, podlisten, etc), depending on what they expose for integration points.

1 Like

I agree, I have a podcast app and I have newsblur for rss

In News+, pressing the Podcast icon brings up this dialog, and pressing “download” will save to a folder on the phone’s filesystem.

Looking at the feed XML for podcasts (e.g. http://rss.acast.com/dummy) I think all you’d need to do is identify the (in red below)

The NewsBlur app is already able to identify the mp3 for playing in-app and provides a “Download audio:” link, but the link just takes me to the web-browser which plays the mp3 instead of downloading it.

I would really like the ability to click that “Download audio:” link (or ideally have some other button) that would save the mp3 locally.