Android: Can't load feeds on 4.6.0

I have two devices, one running Lollipop and one running Marshmallow. Since the most recent update, Newsblur hasn’t been able to load feed items on either device. It updates the unread count, but if I try to open any feed, it only displays “loading”, and the items in the feed never appear. The only solution seems to be to clear the app’s data and log back in, but that only work long enough to open a single feed; then I have to repeat the process.

app version: 4.6.0b3
android version: 6.0 (MRA58V)
device: asus Nexus 7 (flo)
sqlite version: 3.8.10.2
username: SacredSpud
memory: normal
speed: 143 feeds in conn:507 read:51 parse:88 store:209
premium: yes
prefetch: no
keepread: no

5 Likes

Sounds possibly related to this:  https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/topics/something-wrong-with-a-servers-or-feeds

If this happens again, can you try a desktop browser to see if it is specific to the app?

It does seem app-specific. I use Newsblur on multiple desktops and laptops, and they all seem fine.

This started happening to me too. My desktop seems fine, but on 2 different devices, neither will load feeds.

Anyone who can confirm this happening in just the Android app and not in a browser at the same time - what version of Android and the app are you running?

App 4.6.0
Android 5.1 and 6.0

Hmm… I tried uninstalling the app and tried installing the older (4.5) version off of Amazon. And it does the same thing. Just sits there, constantly trying to load any feeds.

Yeah, nothing about story sync was actually changed from 4.5 to 4.6, which has left me a bit puzzled about this.  Barring more server gremlins like we saw last week, I would suspect network issues or something account-specific.

Can you hit the “Send app feedback” link after doing a sync and paste the info here? From whichever device is giving you the most trouble.

Also, does this happen particularly more often in a given feed or folder? Feeds in general or folders in general? Focus mode or Unread mode?

app version: 4.6.0
android version: 5.1 (LPA23.12-39.7)
device: motorola XT1060 (MSM8960)
sqlite version: 3.8.6
username: gnpturtle
speed: 0 feeds in conn:0 read:0 parse:0 store:0
premium: unknown

This is off of a fresh install (after trying the Amazon version). It won’t load a single feed. Not mine. Not the All Shared Stories. Nothing. This is off of my phone, so I’ve tried my WiFi and 4g for different connections.

Thanks for helping!

For kicks I did a victory reset on my tablet and the first thing I did was install newsblur, just in case it was some conflict in apps. Same deal. I log in and I sit at it trying to load feeds/folders/anything.

android version: 6.0 (MRA58V)

device: asus Nexus 7 (flo)

username: gnpturtle

EDIT: I tried out that Blar app on the play store. It is able to login and load feeds. I’m hoping this is helping narrow down where the issue lies. =)

I was pruning my list of feeds down to a manageable number when I tried the app again. Now it’s working. Not sure what really changed (I didn’t add any feeds when it stopped, just updated the app) but I’m glad whatever is working now.

How many feeds and folders do you have?  Something is certainly odd about your case, as the app isn’t even able to see how many feeds you have when submitting feedback (hence all the "0"s).

It was just under 130. Now it’s less than a hundred.
I’m not sure why it wasn’t connecting, but at least it’s working now for some reason. =)

I’ve got the same issue, it would seem. Newsblur is just fine in a desktop browser.

android version: 6.0 (MDB08L)
device: Huawei Nexus 6P (angler)
username: [redacted]

Does the list of feeds load, or are just stories failing to do so?  When you hit “Refresh” in the menu, what does the status message at the bottom of the screen say?

Global Shared Stories appears to work.

I don’t see any of my own feeds and their stories.

After tapping “Refresh” in the menu, there’s an animated color bar at the top, and it says “On its way…” at the bottom. That all disappears eventually - I think either when my phone auto-locks or I leave the app. I tried waiting a couple of minutes before letting either of those happen.

Loading the web app from the same device and network connection happens quickly and without any problems.

Excellent, that narrows it down to particular step that is failing.  Can you share your username? If not here, then via email. That should help us troubleshoot whatever it is about your account that is causing the failure.

@Brian found and fixed the issue impacting your account in particular.  Look out for it in the next release of the Android app.  Thanks for the detailed report!

Does this have something to do with Youtube feeds? I deleted and imported a fresh .xml from youtube and the app started doing it again. (which is just how Brian explains it)