Android application not updating feeds

Android application is not updating feeds. It has been happening for a couple of weeks already, but I noticed the problem only recently. When I try to update the feeds, “Catching up 1 reading actions…” notification shows up and disappears after several seconds. New posts don’t load, the latests posts among my subscriptions remain at July, 10.

Web version works correctly and shows all recent posts. Android app has been working for me approximately since Google Reader shutdown.

Username: admin204
Application version: 4.9.0
Android version: 4.0.4 (API 15)

Holy cow that is an old version. I did see somebody in the logs still using an old android version. Sorry but I had to shut down the old server. Although that shouldn’t have changed anything for you, but it does coincide with the timing.

We have a current f droid release. Why not upgrade?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. And for keeping your API compatible for all these years! Unfortunately, app versions starting with 5.0 require newer Android and can’t be run on this device. I suppose I would be able to adapt source code to earlier Android version, but today I found the reason of connection failure.

The new server lacks TLS 1.0 support. Can you please enable it?

TLS 1.0 is outdated, and insecure. TLS 1.1 was released in 2006 (isn’t that when Google Reader first became publicly available? Not when it was discontinued, when it was released and replaced TLS 1.0). TLS 1.1 itself is also depreciated by this point.

It’s Dangerous to Use Outdated TLS Security Protocols, there are multiple known risks, but more importantly decent potential for new flaws to go undiscovered due to the weaknesses that are known potentially leading to functional exploits.

I can’t speak for what Samuel will want to do, but the time to leave TLS 1.0 and 1.1 enabled ended years ago.

I appreciate the historical reference.) But TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are not implemented in Android 4 for some reason (despite of being released years before). Even compiling current OpenSSL library for this platform won’t help because support in Java is required.

Anyway, configuring of your server is your decision.