Android: adverts in newsblur. Are rss feed writers getting cleverer?

I’ve got a paid for version of newsblur, and have noticed some feeds are showing adverts. When I go to the site, I don’t see those adverts.

Is it a feature of rss feeds getting more clever, so I just have to put up with it, or something else?

app version: 4.5.0
android version: 4.4.2
device: samsung SM-T700 (universal5420)
sqlite version: 3.7.11
username: JimB
memory: normal
speed: 44 feeds in conn:1318 read:4 parse:116 store:104
premium: yes
prefetch: yes
keepread: no

1 Like

They are embedding them in the feeds.  Slashdot does it for example.  I use newsblur mainly in a browser so I’ve managed to filter ads with a blocker still

1 Like

It will be part of the RSS feed itself and nothing to do with Newsblur. Some RSS feeds do include adverts.

1 Like

As has already been said, the ads are embedded in the feed itself. It’s far from new, though surprisingly it’s also not very common. Would make sense to monetize the RSS, especially when you provide the full posts in the RSS. Curiously it seem to always be the sites that truncate the posts in their feeds that also put ads in them.

A few tech feeds are cheeky enough to include ads in the summary feeds so even browsing the headings you get ads.

Thanks all.  I’m surprised I’ve not noticed them up to now, especially as I mainly frequent tech sites.  Maybe I’ve become mostly blind to adverts.